A further 9 Scottish NSAs have been added to the Directory see earlier post for details.
GMFF-0014 Claish Moss, has been renamed to Claish and Kenra Moss SAC/RAMSAR, to reflect a change to status from an NNR to SAC with an expanded boundary to include Kenra Moss.
Two further NNRs have been added to the directory
- GFF-0441 High Leys NNR, Cumbria
- GFF-0442 Thornhill Moss and Meadows NNR, Cumbria
References GFF-0133 (Dungeness), GFF-0237 (Rye Harbour) and GFF-0238 (Romney Marsh) were amongst the original WFF references.
It is unclear as to which areas they refer… this post will attempt to draw some lines on the map!
Continue reading “Romney Marsh and Rye Harbour”
Several changes to the directory have been made:
- GFF-0437 East Devon Pebblebed Heaths SAC -Pebblebed Heaths NNR
- GFF-0438 Waveney and Little Ouse Valley Fens SAC – Blo’ Norton and Thelnetham Fen SSSI
- GFF-0439 Waveney and Little Ouse Valley Fens SAC – Weston Fen SSSI
- GFF-0440 West Midland Mosses SAC – Chartley Moss NNR
- GFF-0162 Is renamed to Waveney and Little Ouse Valley Fens SAC – Redgrave and Lopham Fen NNR/RAMSAR. A further two new references , GFF 0438/9 have been created for SSSIs which form geographically separate parts of the SAC.
New Areas & Amendments -Latest update 25/7/21
We have started the process of working through the GMFF Directory, to ensure all Scottish National Scenic Areas (NSAs) are allocated a reference, in some cases existing reference names will be amended to make clear when they include the NSA. There are 40 NSAs in all covering 13% of Scotland’s land mass, so completing this work will provide more opportunities for getting out and operating in Scotland’s beautiful countryside. Further updates to follow.
The following new areas have been allocated a reference:
- GMFF-0116 Assynt – Coigach NSA
- GMFF -0117 Fleet Valley NSA
- GMFF-0118 Eildon and Leaderfoot NSA
- GMFF-0119 Kintail NSA
- GMFF-0120 Knapdale NSA
- GMFF-0121 Shetland NSA
- GMFF-0122 Knoydart NSA
- GMFF-0123 Kyle of Tongue NSA
- GMFF-0124 Kyles of Bute NSA
- GMFF-0125 Loch na Keal, Isle of Mull NSA
- GMFF-0126 Loch Rannoch and Glen Lyon NSA
- GMFF-0127 Loch Sheil NSA
- GMFF-0128 Loch Tummel NSA
- GMFF-0129 Lynn of Lorn NSA
- GMFF-0130 Morar, Moidart and Ardnamurchan NSA
Changes also made to:
- GMFF -0061 St Kilda NSA, NNR and WHS name changed reflect inclusion of the NSA
The following NNRs have now been given a reference:
- GFF-0433 – Valley of the Stones NNR
- GFF-0434 – Sandybeck Meadows NNR
- GFF-0435 – Bardney Limewoods NNR
- GFF- 0436- South London Downs NNR
The process of assigning references to all of Northern Ireland’s Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) has now been completed. The following new references have been added to the directory
- GIFF- 0074 -Antrim Coast and Glens AONB
- GIFF- 0075 -Binevenagh AONB
- GIFF- 0076 – Causeway Coast AONB
- GIFF- 0077 -Lagan Valley AONB
- GIFF- 0078 -Ring Of Gullion AONB
- GIFF- 0079 – Sperrins AONB
- GIFF- 0080 – Strangford and Lecale AONB
Several changes to the directory have been made:
In line with the decision made by Team GxFF in April, we have completed the addition of all Wildfowl and Wetland Trust sites, the final three sites added being:
- GFF-0431 – Washington WWT
- GFF-0432 – London WWT
- GIFF- 0073 – Castle Espie WWT
In addition GWFF – 0059 Maes y Facrell NNR (Great Orme) has become designated as Pen y Gogarth SAC (including Maes y Facrell NNR) (Great Orme), the new boundaries now taking in the SAC.
Staying in Wales, GFF- 0015 Pembrokeshire Coast National Park will be redesignated with a GWFF prefix. This change will take effect from August 1st 2021.
Allocation of references within GxFF is determined by the Reference Allocation Policy.
We have been approached about adding Llanelli Wetland Centre (owned and managed by the Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust). At first glance this was declined, as the site is not designated, according to our policy.
However, on further consideration, it was noted that several of the other WWT sites are already listed (eg Arundel, Martin Mere, Slimbridge), and that WWT is a globally renowned group in conservation circles.
Continue reading “Update to the Reference Allocation Policy”
A number of changes to the GxFF Directory have been made:
- GFF-0422: The newly designated Saltwells NNR has been added, in accordance with Natural England’s announcement.
- GFF-0423: Thames Basin Heaths SPA – Whitmoor Common SSSI has been added.
- GFF-0424: Ashtead Heath NNR has been added.
- GFF-0425: Bolton Fell and Walton Mosses NNR – Bolton Fell Moss SAC has been added.
- GFF-0426: River Wensum SAC has been added.
- GFF-0427: Hamford Water SPA/RAMSAR/NNR has been added.
- GFF-0428: Pevensey Levels SPA/RAMSAR/NNR has been added.
- GFF-0429: South Solway Mosses SAC – South Solway Mosses NNR – Glassom Moss SSSI has been added – this is a distinct area near to GFF-0083.
- GFF-0430: Charnwood Lodge NNR has been added.
In addition, Team GxFF are discussing how to proceed with the new Purbeck Heaths NNR and its impact on the existing designated areas, in accordance with Natural England’s announcement.
- GFF-0059: The King’s Wood and Rushmere NNR boundaries have been adjusted, in accordance with Natural England’s announcement.
- GFF-0110: The Lower Derwent Valley NNR boundaries have been adjusted, in accordance with Natural England’s announcement. Note: the reference boundaries are unchanged, as it is all within the SPA/SAC/RAMSAR designated area.
- GFF-0145: The Ribble and Alt Estuaries NNR boundaries have been adjusted, in accordance with Natural England’s announcement. As part of this, the contiguous Hesketh Out Marsh RSPB has been extended and designated as part of the NNR.
- GFF-0150: The Marshside RSPB has become designated as part of the Ribble and Alt Estuaries NNR (see GFF-0145) – it will retain its separate reference.
- GFF-0343: has been renamed as Cassop NNR, in accordance with Natural England’s announcement to rename and reduce it in size.
- GFF-0372: has been renamed as Bolton Fell and Walton Mosses NNR – Walton Moss SAC, in accordance with Natural England’s announcement. The reference covers the whole of Walton Moss SAC, so the extension of the NNR within the SAC have no direct affect. The designation of Bolton Fell Moss SAC as an NNR is reflected in GFF-0425.
Where boundaries have changed, activators must ensure that their activation position is still within the designated areas!